Thursday, April 18, 2013

Life Drawing Portfolio Sem 2

Lately I had been uncomfortable with life drawing, feeling no sense of improvement and losing that will to try harder in it. I can remember feeling the conte and then not knowing really what I was doing with it. I would make scratched on the page that didn't really connect or express what I wanted to capture. Oddly enough, I had a better go at it after taking a break and then consecutively going to extra life for four days. it was just a weird culmination of my sketching and letting myself believe in what the conte could do for me rather than what I could make it do for me. I hadn't taken the time to get to know the conte.

By no means did I become some life dawing prodigy, but I definitely found myself doing better when I wasn't going after a really awesome drawing. I got what I was looking for when I by chance stopping adhering to the 1 minute sketches and just repeated the same pose again and again. Then when I woke from my stupor and tried a new pose something better came out. 

I think just trying to make every drawing so good messed me up hard. In a backwards sense, I think I came to like life drawing again when I saw this portfolio finished. There's a lot of very talented people in my program, and I know that they work really hard studying the human form. I forgot how nice it is. Goal for third year? Actually go to extra life a little more. Maybe not my outrageous goal of 3-4 times a week, but more like 1 or 2. I need to make better use of my time.











And then a sketch I liked in the new small book I bought. What am I doing, buying 5 sketchbooks at the end of the year. Like I am going to be able to fill them all in 4 months.... Well, there's a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment